Consolidate Debts Using a Line of Credit or Overdraft

Before the global economic crisis, getting a line of credit was a walk in the park. But in the current economic climate, getting approved for a line of credit has become increasingly challenging. This article takes an in-depth look at using a line of credit or overdraft to consolidate debts.

Understanding Lines of Credit and Overdrafts

Lines of credit and overdrafts vary in terms of their security. Depending on your financial standing and the bank’s lending policy, they can either be secured or unsecured.

Fundamentally, a line of credit and an overdraft serve the same purpose. They both allow you to spend beyond your means, up to a certain limit, turning your debit card into a credit card. However, they differ in terms of their interest rates and fees.

Unraveling the Interest Rate Mystery

When it comes to interest rates, overdrafts are typically the pricier option. Many financial institutions charge interest rates exceeding 20%, comparable to credit cards, plus a monthly fee.

Conversely, a line of credit’s interest rate is based on the Prime rate, meaning it fluctuates with changes in the Prime rate. For instance, if your bank offers you a line of credit at Prime + 2%, and the Prime rate is 2.5%, your total interest would be 4.5% (2.5% Prime + 2% bank’s rate). The bank’s additional rate depends on various factors, primarily your credit score.

Using a Line of Credit or Overdraft to Consolidate Debts

Consolidating your debts using a line of credit or overdraft has its pros and cons. Before deciding, it’s crucial to have a clear picture of your income and expenses.

Advantages

  • Low-interest rates: Lines of credit often offer the lowest possible interest rates.
  • Flexible monthly payments: These provide great flexibility.
  • Tremendous freedom: You can repay at your own pace.

Disadvantages

  • If you don’t discipline yourself to pay more than the minimum payment each month, your debt will persist.
  • A line of credit’s interest rate varies with the Prime rate. If the Prime rate rises significantly, your minimum payments may become unmanageable.
  • An overdraft’s high interest rate and monthly fee can make it more expensive than a credit card.

Speak to a Debt Consolidation Expert

Consulting with a debt consolidation expert can be a game-changer. They can provide free, confidential advice and help you explore your options.

Related Topics

Debt Consolidation

There are several ways to consolidate your debt, some of which are not well-known.

Online Payday Loans

Instant payday loans are among the most costly forms of credit in Canada.

Credit Counselling

Curious about credit counselling and how it works? Here’s what you need to know.

In conclusion, consolidating debts using a line of credit or overdraft can be a viable option, but it requires careful consideration and discipline. Ensure to weigh the pros and cons and consult with an expert before making a decision.

Find Your Personal Debt Relief Solution

Licensed Insolvency Trustees are here to help. Get a free assessment of your options.

Discuss options to get out of debt with a trained & licensed debt relief professional.