Collection Agencies – Information and Advice
If you owe money to a creditor and have stopped making your payments then Collection Agencies might start calling you to recover the money owed.
Tips for Dealing With a Collection Agency:
• If possible, your best course of action would be paying the amount you owe;
• Contact the collection agency and explain your situation and make a fair offer to repay the debt if you are unable to pay the complete amount you owe in full;
• Make sure to get any agreements made with the collection agency in writing;
• Get receipts for all payments to the collection agency as proof of your payment (never send cash);
• You will receive written notification when your debt has been sold to a collection agency.
What if I’ve Been Treated Unfairly by a Collection Agency?
There are rules and regulations as to what a collection agency can do and you have certain rights in regarding as to how debt can be collected from you.
For example, a collection agency representative will not be allowed to contact you and use abusive language or contact you to early in the morning.
There are specific rules regarding what a collection agency can or cannot do by province.
Various Debt Collection Rules by Province:
Newfoundland and Labrador
Prince Edward Island
Les comptes en souffrances (French Only)
Problems with a collection agency